Mashonaland Central Soybean Linkages Phase II
Stand Out Results:
Project: Mashonaland Central Soybean Linkages Phase II
Funders: Rockefeller Foundation Funding
Country/Timeframe: Zimbabwe/ 2004-2007
The Problem: The smallholder farmers in Mashonaland have been affected by successive droughts and poor agricultural policies that are causing low productivity, minimal access to markets, and low-income security.
Long-Term Goal of Project:To empower smallholder farmers in growing high value, drought tolerant, nutrient-fortified crops in order to improve sustainable household, food and income security.
- Increase soybean production through enhanced seed multiplication techniques.
- Increase access to microcredit opportunities for agro-processing inputs.
- Establishing a community driven, soybean oil-processing industry.
- Promote proper post-harvest handling and storage techniques.
- Facilitate marketing of soybean grain within local and regional markets through farmer-led soybean commodity associations.
Direct Beneficiaries: 5,320 farmers.