Africare was founded in 1970 as a leading non-governmental organization committed to addressing African development and policy issues by working in partnership with African people to build sustainable, healthy and productive communities. During its fifty years, it has invested approximately $2 billion in 38 African countries. In 2020, Africare announced a planned sunset of US operations coinciding with the formation of an autonomous new Senegal headquartered entity named PanAfricare. PanAfricare will continue Africare’ s legacy of implementing programs with a commitment toward ‘improving lives and building futures’ on the African continent. Africare concurrently also facilitated the formation of the “Friends of PanAfricare” non-profit entity which will support PanAfricare and other organizations with similar missions in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Africare, one of the world’s leading US-based, Africa-focused non-governmental organizations (NGO) celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2020 by jointly announcing a planned sunset and endorsing creation of an independent PanAfricare
- PanAfricare will continue the mission of Africare and assume management responsibility of projects in seven countries. With its headquarters in Dakar, Senegal, PanAfricare will have a presence in every region of sub-Saharan
- The Africare to PanAfricare announcement also coincides with the optimal market value sale of the venerable “Africare House” in NW Washington DC and the preservation of the organization’s renowned collection of African artwork and related
- Africare unveils the “#AfricareGoldenYear2020” and “MyAfricareMemory” hashtags celebrating an impactful fifty-year legacy of investing approximately $2 billion across 38 African
- A new separate “Friends of PanAfricare” not-for-profit entity has been established to solicit support in the US for the mission of PanAfricare and other organizations with similar missions in sub- Saharan Africa.