Africare began operations in Nigeria in 1978.
Since that time, Africare has invested in Nigeria’s communities through projects addressing…
- Agriculture & Food Security
- HIV & AIDS
- Family Planning
- Malaria Control
- Maternal and Child Health
- Orphans and Vulnerable Children
- Reproductive Health
- River Blindness
- Water, Sanitation & Hygiene
- Women’s Empowerment
- Youth Empowerment
Click “Africare Programs” above to view Africare/Nigeria’s active programs.
Success in Nigeria
With funding from USAID from 2009 to 2014, Africare partnered with Management Sciences for Health and Nigeria’s Federal Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development to implement the Community-Based Support for Orphans and Vulnerable Children Project (CUBS OVC) in 11 Nigerian states. The project empowered Nigerian Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) and local women, especially female heads of households, to better care for Orphans and Vulnerable Children. The project:
• Built the capacity of 38 CSOs in organizational development, proposal development and OVC comprehensive service delivery
• Served 54,667 children across 12,500 households with needs-based-care
• Improved the earning capacity of 1,081 female heads of households with training in income generation, household nutrition and homestead farming
• Supported 511 women with start-up grants
• Trained over 14,000 female adolescents and caregivers in reproductive health, maternal health, nutrition, family planning and safe motherhood
“When we started, we were afraid, not knowing what we will get at the end of the training, but here we are today with laptops, printers, hair dryers, sewing machines and all the things we need to set up our businesses, God bless you.”
-Ifeoma Chizoba, participant in CUBS OVC vocational skills support
Check out our blog, or the related content to your left, to see more examples of Africare success in Nigeria.
Barbara Meier schreibt seit vielen Jahren für die NPAlliance Ratgeber und Testberichte. Dabei legt sie großen Wert auf die Ausführlichkeit sowie Richtigkeit ihrer Artikel. Sie zählt zu den wenigen Experten in ihrem Gebiet und hat sich über die letzten Jahren einen Namen in der Gesundheitsbranche gemacht.